Introduced in the year 1995, TOGAF is a global standard for the enterprise architecture framework. It is an open group standard which is used by the leading organizations in the world. It is the most reliable standard that can provide consistent techniques for uninterrupted business solutions.
The enterprise architecture professionals can enjoy improved business efficiency and higher industry credibility with the help of TOGAF standards. The experts can utilize large amount of resources with higher return on investment if they are conversant with the TOGAF.
How TOGAF can help in Improving Business?
The TOGAF helps in developing the enterprise architecture for supporting the business through the fundamental technology and implementing the process structure of IT strategy. This process can create IT as a responsive asset and can be implemented in the decision making process. The architectural framework can help in simplifying the architectural development by completing the whole coverage of the intended solution. The architecture that is created through TOGAF can be allowed for the future growth and the requirements of the business.
The heterogeneous designs of the architecture can be a complex process with multiple vendors. Here, TOGAF can play an important role by demystifying the development process of the architecture, by helping the IT users to build the systems for the business needs.
The IT users who do not prefer investing in the IT architecture, can be forced to use the single supplier solutions for integrating business solutions. The single supplier solution may adhere to the standards but cannot match the benefits of using the multi vendor open systems. Now, let us go through the best practices of TOGAF:
- It has been developed by the members of the Open group , a non-profit body of the world’s major IT vendors and the Fortune 1000 companies
- It does not imply or prefer any particular technology or computing paradigm.
- TOGAF is based on the open standards based on the commercial off-the-shelf ( COTS)
- The framework is developed by the experienced users and the vendors who can work in combination.
- It is completely neutral with vendors and do not have any preference
- TOGAF can be practiced freely with the organizations whose case studies are available for the review purpose in the public domains.
- It can be supported by different tools and the professional services which are independent of the specific solutions of the technology. These practical tools can help in decreasing the costs of creating, designing, planning as well as implementing architectures depending on the open system solutions.
TOGAF has been published in the public web site by the Open Group. Therefore it can be represented freely by any organization for developing any information systems within the organization.
The specific customers can therefore easily access the methodology for preparing the project documents for the consideration of the customers. The customers who create the designs and implement the corporate architectures can use TOGAF by ensuring the design and procurement. This can enable the benefits of the open systems for accruing the organizations with decreased risks. The TOGAF can mainly help in:
- Simplifying the related process of the product procurement , design and implementation of the open system
- The IT functions can be communicated with the improved goals and the strategies with the corporate management
- It enables the users for implementing and gaining the benefits of the open systems at the decreased cost
TOGAF will generally contain:
Foundation Architecture: The TOGAF foundation architecture can provide generic services and the functions that can implement the basic foundation of the specific architectures. The building blocks of the architecture can be created with the help of TOGAF. The TOGAF Standards Information Base (SIB) is the open industry of the database standards which can be used for defining the particular services and other elements of the organization-specific architecture.
Architecture Development Method (ADM): From the foundation architecture, the TOGAF can be improved with the Architecture Development Method (ADM). The ADM process can provide:
- The practical and reliable way of creating and developing the architecture
- The business scenario method for understanding and defining the business requirements by properly addressing the architectural methods.
- It can provide guidance for developing the views of the architectural methods and for ensuring the set of requirements if properly addressed.
- TOGAF can provide various tools for the architecture development
- The examples and the case studies can be linked with TOGAF
Therefore, in short TOGAF can provide prudent and effective methods for developing the IT architecture. It can provide various benefits to the end users:
- Cost and risk development of the IT architecture with reduced time
- The business benefits of the IT infrastructure and development can be realized very quickly through the Building Blocks Information Base
- The avoidance of locking into a particular tool can be implemented easily
It can also be helpful to the IT architecture tool vendors:
- As there are bigger markets, the market share can also be big
- The growing demands of the customer requirements can be supported through the open standards of the architecture
- The export / import of the architecture can be defined with the Building Blocks Information Base
TOGAF can play a great role to the IT solution vendors:
- A huge share of procurements can be offered to the IT solution vendors
- The customer awareness can be increased through the vendor commitment with the open systems
- The bidding and the responding costs can be used with the open standards depending on the IT architecture
Key Points from the Article
From the article, we can understand that
- The basic concept of TOGAF
- The use of TOGAF in the business
- The benefits of TOGAF for the end users, tool vendors and the solution vendors
Therefore TOGAF can be applied in the structuring and restructuring through the global standards. It can represent the best practices of the architecture development in the organization.