When you are sending a mail to your employee or providing on job training to a new team member in your organization communication is required to be clear and legible. But you may get lost during the creation of your message or find difficulty in framing what the audience actually wants from you.
Basic Concept of Communication Cycle
The communication cycle is a six step process that helps in creating and developing your messages after refining them. It helps you to remember all the essential point so that you do not miss out a single important point. If you put the whole process in a cycle format, then the feedback will help in improving the communications in the future. It is the process through which a message can be sent by one individual and can be transferred to various recipients further. The efficiency of the cycle depends on the time by which the feedback is received by the initial sender. This cycle can include social media platforms, VoIP message outlets or the email chains. The response time will definitely be faster if all the factors can be associated with the individuals with the business environment. The main aim of the communication cycle is to create interaction between the parties with a high frequency. Both the private social groups and the business teams can perform through this communication cycle.
How to Use the Communication Cycle in the Management?
Within an organization, effective communication is required in every stage. The communication cycle process can be applied to the management. For example, in a healthcare organization, the effective communication is required in every stage. Starting from the listening skills and negotiation to the goal setting skills everywhere the communication cycle can be applied. The leaders and the managers in the organization require strong communication skills for delivering the messages to the employees and the junior levels. The jobs and the responsibilities of the employees are to be made clear through the proper communication. The individuals can participate in the communication cycle by transmitting their information. Now what can be the stages of the communication cycle?
- Source: The source is the initial stage from where the message gets created. It decides how the message will be conveyed and who will be the receiver of the message. The source keeps the message as simple as possible to obtain a clear impact to the target receiver.
- Encode: The information should be properly transmitted so that the receiver can properly understand the grammar, punctuation, selection of words, body language and the tone of voice. Either you can encode your message through speaking or by the writing format. While the encoding process, the language or the cultural barrier required to be considered and if any obstruction is observed, the issues are to be addressed immediately.
- Channel: There can be various communication channels in verbal forms like the videoconferencing, telephone and the face to face meetings and some written forms like memos, reports and the emails. For handing over simple tasks, the email formats can be used for the instruction purpose. If you are delegating any complicated tasks or the issues then face to face or the telephonic conversations will be more suitable. If there are any questions that arise due to the complicacy, that can immediately be sorted out through the verbal formats.
- Decode: This is the process of receiving and interpreting the message properly. While reading a message, you should avoid the distractions and read the whole text carefully. When a speaker is giving instructions, it is important to listen and pay attention to the message actively.
- Receiver: When you receive the message, the whole feelings and the ideas of the message must be clear to the receiver.
- Feedback: This stage can provide information whether the receiver has totally understood the message or there is any miscommunication in the whole process. The message can be send again if there remains any communication gap throughout the whole cycle.
The appropriate tone, language and a specific level of formality should be maintained while communicating in your workplace. Different managers may have different style of communicating. They should maintain the proper courteous and professional language while communicating with their employees. You can show your confidence and strength but never be arrogant or overconfident. This will help you to connect with your employees with comfort and ease. The managers should maintain an assertive level of communication all the time. The body language should be calm and self controlled. The active listening skills can be one of the important traits of the manager.
An appropriate communication channel requires to be chosen. You should decide which tasks are to be performed with the verbal communication and which are to be followed through the non verbal communication. If meetings or immediate activities are required, you can use the face to face format for keeping the process simple. Non verbal communication can be used to provide feedback on the staff performance. The individual staff can receive an appraisal in the written format of communication. The manager or the aspiring managers should develop the skills for communicating effectively:
- Speak: The individual should speak fluently and accurately. He should be clear enough about what he wants to deliver.
- Write: For writing the emails, reports and the memos, the individual should have a strong base of the grammar, punctuation and spelling and professional vocabulary.
- Listen: Learn to comprehend the subject after active listening. It is important to understand the untold and indirect information through the body language and the tone of voice.
From the article, we can easily comprehend the
- The basic concept of the communication cycle
- The different steps of the communication cycle
- How the communication cycle can be used in and organization
Managing the active communication cycle is very important task for an organization. The managers will reach the ultimate goal if they act as a proper communicator with high level of professionalism and fluency.