A complaint is mostly considered as the negative feedback and it and attracts negative reactions. Starting from the workers, employees or managers find it very difficult to take the complaints as the learning opportunities. But feedback and the complaints are necessary for improving yourselves, your products as well as services. The complaints and feedback that you receive requires to be managed in the right way.
What is the Basic Concept?
Feedback and complaints can be received as the part of your job. The customer complaint handling can be one of your job roles. You may be working in the Human Resource team where the feedback from the internal sources is being collected. Now what can be the benefits of the closed loop feedback process?
- It is the proper way to resolve your problems regarding your product, services or the overall problems in the organization. Your customers, employees and the service users will be beneficial with the process.
- If the process can be continued properly, continuous feedback can be obtained. It definitely should be a continuous process for maintaining success and not an occasional event.
- The data provided through the feedback can be used for the long term improvement. The quality of the product, morale of the team and the reputation of the organization can improve all with the feedback process.
- The feedback process helps to build a strong bond between the owners, the managers, the employees and the customers.
How to Use the Feedback Process in Your Business?
For receiving the feedback, the feedback collection box can be placed or surveys can be carried on. Some consultants can also be hired for measuring the satisfaction level of both the employees and the customers. Whenever the employees and the customers do not participate in the feedback process and loses the interest, it is often termed as the broken feedback process or the open-loop feedback process. Now, let us go through the steps of the closed loop feedback process:
Gather Data: At first you are required to decide the method in which you are going to implement the closed loop process. Whether one person will be responsible for collecting the whole feedback or a team should perform in the feedback collection process. You should also decide whether there should remain a central database for the overall feedback and from there the review method can be carried on regularly. The metrics for the measurement should also be decided in this stage. From the metrics the key areas of the feedback should be focused on. The feedback can also be measured for the customer’s reaction of the latest launched product of the organization. Specific questions to the customers will help in receiving specific feedback for your team rather than asking some generic questions like ‘are you happy with the service?’ Just mentioning the specific key area of the service will help in the effective outcome.
Take Action: This is the stage where the real action can take place. The feedback will be of no value if the actions cannot be taken at the right time. Here you can identify the problems and decide on all the decision making tools. The problem solving process can be initiated in this step.
Feedback Communication: The feedback should be communicated to all the people who can be benefitted from this. This is a very important step which is often overlooked. The explanation and the reasons behind all the problems should be identified and addressed to the people. You can highlight all the important actions that can be done instead of the activities done before the feedback process.
Refine Changes: This is the final step where the loop ends the process. In this stage, some additional comments can be obtained. The Kaizen method can be used to improve the art of continuous changes.
After the process is over, make sure that the people involved in the process are satisfied. Whoever provides the feedback, value his time by showing gratitude. Even the complaints can receive gratitude and will surely create and impact immediately in the minds of the feedback providers. Ask the providers directly about their satisfaction level and if any changes are required, just go ahead with it. If any added information is required it can be entered in the process.
- Easy Process: For the internal feedback process, the suggestions box can be used. A specific email address should set up for the survey and feedback purposes. The managers and the team should be given the power for resolving the problems. Some incentives can also be offered if to the feedback providers for valuing their time.
- Effective Language: Proper languages are to be used during the feedback process. You can create a partnership among the feedback provider and the receiver by using the languages in cool and calm way. For example, you can use the tone‘let us do like this’. This will help in creating bond between the provider and the receiver.
- Empathy: Learn to feel empathetic in the situations and put on other’s shoes before solving a problem. Try to understand how other people will react in the same situation.
- Difficult Situations: Prepare yourself for the difficult situations. If you are handling any person who is in anger, try to make him calm down. Panic and tension can lead situations in the uncomfortable environment. It may be a fight or flight environment where you can either hold on your argument strongly or can escape from the situation.
From the article, we now know that
- The basic concept of the process
- The closed loop feedback process can be beneficial for managing the complaints
- The benefits of using the feedback process in your organization
- The method of using the feedback loop
Many situations can arise where you are required to keep your calm and then prepare for the feedback. You can perform role play in some situation where you should put yourself in other’s shoes.