There are times when new employees or even managers, straight out of project management courses attend meetings on time and are very enthusiastic to attend or even conduct them. However, after passage of sometime, she realizes that her enthusiasm and interest does not influence others in the office. While the manager tries hard to be an enthusiast, her team members do not take much interest. In this article, we will discuss about techniques to change habits of people. This is thus, a study of change management.
In the process that important people do not attend a meeting or come late, the meeting though begins on time does not make much progress. At the end of a month or so, the manager becomes frustrated with the turn of events and gets back to her early mode of working.
Even when a professional is eager to change things at her office, her team members may not be. Thus, bringing alterations is not always easy. The way people behave at workplace depends on the organizational work culture.
Mentioned below are some of the habits of people and techniques to change them
Some people think that office is a place where they solely go to work. However, if they do not speak to anybody, it might not be desirable for them as well as for the people working with them.
- The manager should make it clear that it is not compulsory that a professional has to be liked by her colleagues, but she should have a friendly attitude, so that she is considered likeable by her colleagues. Small gestures such as wishing good morning and smiling at others in the office make way for better communication in future.
- Taking part in office celebrations makes people social.
- This attitude enables synergy that comes forward by the collaboration of many professionals.
# Work avoidance
The manager can come across a team member(s) who wants to hand over new projects given to her to other people who can be better performers. This way, she loses her chance to prove herself as well as the opportunity to learn something new.
- Even though, it is true that at times there are people who can handle jobs better than others, when a resource avoids every challenging task delegated to her, it means that she is not interested. People who avoid work do not do anything at office.
- The manager has to explain to the team members that while a resource should not say yes for every task, she should at least show her interest in solving issues faced by the company. It reflects positive work ethics and others want to work with that employee. She might even be recommended for projects in future. The manager should instill this attitude in her team members by practicing this approach herself. The manager should also ask her team members to have clear goals and link them to the objectives of the company.
The manager should make it a point not to fall prey to negative thinking. It is a contagious issue and if one person is afflicted, others won’t be far behind.
- When negativity gets strong, professionals start to think that they are not suitable for a particular task. An employee may also resort to blaming external factors instead of improving her own attitude.
- Dealing with a cynic colleague claims all energy and interest to work. Therefore, the manager should practice being positive and emphasize on the bright side of things. The team members should realize that focusing on things learnt from accidents is better than focusing on the bad things that happen. Change management teaches that it is always better to move on after facing negative things in life.
- A positive culture in an organization leads to enhanced performance. The manager should provide constructive feedback on behavior that is important to the organizational capabilities.
- The manager should make it a point that the team members do not start gossiping inside office premises. When conversing with colleagues, it is important that a certain amount of privacy is maintained. Thus, it is better to avoid the company of people who gossip as means for communication.
- It is important that team members realize the boundary between being inquisitive and nosy. Employees might get uncomfortable if their personal lives are interfered.
There are some people who claim to work better under pressure. However, procrastination becomes an issue when it starts turning into a hindrance. Projects are delivered late and the resources are stressed.
- Long breaks while at office, long drawn personal calls, surfing the internet for purposes other than work and playing games are some of the causes that increase procrastination. When the results come out at the end of the day, they are of average quality because they are completed in a hurry and under stress.
- The manager must introduce solution for time management and good schedule that will guide the employees to high performance.
# Being clumsy
People tend to forget that the office is not their home. They use office properties like their personal properties, such as not flushing the toilet or strewing paper all over the floor. Employees should remember that they share the office with many others and thus, keep it safe and sound from others to be in.
# Being resistant to change
- People are often not comfortable with change. They believe that if a certain task could have been done for the past ten years, it can be done for the coming ten years as well. The manager should explain to them the necessity of change to move on with the flowing time.
- They have to realize that companies will undergo change at any cost, so it is better to accept it rather than resisting it. They should have a set of alternate solutions if they deem change as an unnecessary appendage.
To Wrap up
From this article, it can be deduced that it is essential that people change their approach to work and workplace. Managers must give their best to change them by utilizing change management techniques.